Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Something old, something new

I'm preparing myself to say goodbye to my "first" bicycle: the first since 1994; the first that wasn't only ridden on the sidewalk; the first that was as much about getting around in my everyday life as it was about going for rides on weekends.  Here she is, the lovely Cordelia (as in, "Will you please call me Cordelia?") (PS I've been to Green Gables, and it is totally awesome):
The KHS Green was an ideal starter bike for me-- affordable, extremely low-maintenance, easy to ride, and tough enough to withstand all the snow and rain and gunk I could throw at her.  No muss, no fuss, and good-looking to boot.  The M on her head badge stands for 'Manhattan,' but I always liked to think it was meant to match my name.
I also very much enjoyed the process of fixing her up with all kinds of lights and baskets, U-lock cozies and fancy saddles.  The latter items are staying with me, but otherwise, Cordelia will leave nicely equipped.  Let's see that face:



As sad as I am to see her go, I am so, so happy to be handing her over to my friend C.  This bicycle improved my quality of life dramatically, and it just makes it that much better to be able to pass along the gift to a friend.  Also, it would be sad to send Cordelia off to some unknown stranger who might not end up loving her.

I do, of course, have the still-unnamed Fryslan to comfort me in her absence.
Hello, pretty lady!  You need some baskets!  Here's another look at the slapdash handlebar bag, made from an old leather purse of my mom's:
And the bell has a cute little bike-riding couple stamped on it:

Here are the two ladies, saying their goodbyes:
Oh come on, don't be shy!
There we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment